CATEGORIES: Business, Franchising
CATEGORIES: Business, Franchising
Taking care of a family can be a full-time job, but if you’re a woman who dreams of being a business owner and a cool mom, then a franchise can be a good choice. Franchising can be a great way to find flexibility in the workplace while gaining financial freedom.
But how do you balance being a mom and running a business and all the things that come with it? That's what Erik and Tara McLain talk about in today's episode of Franchise Secrets.
Tara worked with other franchises before discovering Hand & Stone. As a customer of the brand, she was sold on the new opportunity because she experienced firsthand how Hand & Stone takes care of their customers.
Tara joined Hand & Stone Massage and Facial Spa in 2012 as a franchisee and has since built new locations in addition to acquiring existing spas in Southwestern Florida. She currently has four existing locations and two in development: one more in Florida and one in Savannah, GA (a new market for her!).
Tara has also been involved in construction projects while expanding her existing locations. On a personal note, she is a mother to two amazing teens and the wife of John McLain, an attorney.
If you want to know what it's like to run a multi-unit franchise while being an awesome mom, Tara has some excellent insights for you.
“I am not a micromanager and I am not a delegator. I empower them to make the best decision for each situation.” - Tara McLain
In This Episode:
- How Tara started and acquired her spas
- Tara shares the lessons she learned from her first venture and why she was attracted to join Hand & Stone
- What mindset shift was needed for a mom with two kids to venture into business?
- What does the infrastructure look like to run a multi-unit franchise in different locations?
- The struggles Tara had to overcome while running the spa
- What happened when the stores were shut down during the pandemic, and how did the franchisor respond to the situation?
- What does her team structure look like, and what is Tara's relationship with her Regional Managers?
- What is Tara’s routine on a typical week?
- How Tara motivates her team to do better
- The challenges with hiring new people and how to solve it
- How long can you step away from the business without things breaking?
- The deeper reason Tara still does the payroll for her team even when she doesn't exactly enjoy doing it
- Tara’s advice to other moms who are thinking about venturing into business
- Learn more about Erik’s franchisee mastermind here - www.franchisetribe.com
- Learn more about Erik’s franchisor mastermind here - www.franchisortribe.com
- Learn more about Erik’s passive investing mastermind here - www.tribeofinvestors.com
- Want to buy a franchise? Connect with Erik here - https://forms.gle/n4JedEuU5p7asE617
- Want to franchise your business? Connect with Erik here - https://forms.gle/n4JedEuU5p7asE617
Connect with Tara McLain:
- LinkedIn (McLain Spa Group) - https://www.linkedin.com/in/mclain-spa-group-4b2621271/
Connect with Erik Van Horn:
Erik Van Horn is a franchising specialist, and expert in multi-unit, semi-absentee franchise business ownership. From entrepreneur to regional developer, and investor to consultant, Erik has worn many hats over the last two decades, which has provided him unique insight into complex aspects of the industry. If you're a franchisee, a franchisor, or one aspiring to be, subscribe to the Franchise Secrets channel and visit www.FranchiseSecrets.com for even more tactical and practical tools to help you buy, grow, and sell franchises like an expert.